Kamika Ekadashi is the one that occurs in the Krishna Paksha in the Tamil month of Aadi. It is also called Shraavana Krishna Ekadashi and has a great significance among the Ekadashis we observe over a year. Kamika Ekadashi 2017 renders absolute removal of the sinful effects upon a person including that of killing a brahmin. The legend behind it describes how a landlord is saved from the sin of killing a brahmin by observing Kamika Ekadashi vrat.
Kamika Ekadashi 2017 date is July 19, Wednesday
Kamika Ekadashi vrata Katha
In ancient times, there was a landlord who killed a brahmin accidentally in a quarrel with him. The landlord realised his fault and wanted to atone his sin. He wanted to participate in the last ceremony of the brahmin and contribute some amount towards its expenses. But the angry community did not allow him and thus he felt helpless.
The man was repenting for his sin and approached a sage for a remedy. The sage asked him to observe Kamika Ekadashi which will absolve him of his sin of killing the brahmin. The landlord obliged and observed Kamika Ekadashi vrat. He slept near the idol of Lord Vishnu for the night. The Lord appeared in his dream and told him that he would relieve him of his sin of killing a brahmin. So, powerful is Kamika Ekadashi vrat.
Benefits of observing Kamika Ekadashi vrat
· The person who observes Kamika Ekadashi observes more religious benefit than one who takes a darshan of Lord Kedarnath in the Himalayas.
· He attains more benefit than one who bathes in the river Ganges at Varanasi or in Naimisharanya or at Pushkara.
· He gets more punya than one who bathes in Kurukshetra during solar eclipse.
· The person obtains benefit that is greater than donating the whole earth with all its forests and oceans in charity.
· The observer of Kamika Ekadashi gains greater religious sanctity than those who take bath in the Gandaki river (where Shaligrams are found) or in the river Godavari on a full moon day that falls on a Monday and when Jupiter and Leo (the planet Simha) are in conjunction.
· Observing Kamika Ekadashi vow is equivalent to donating a cow with her calf and their fodder.
· Kamika Ekadashi obliterates even the sin of killing a brahmin, a blameless woman and an unborn child in the womb.
· This vrata brings more benefit than reading all holy scriptures.
· One gets rid of future births and the sins accumulated in the previous births. Even Yama raj and Chitragupta will not come near a Kamika Ekadashi observer.
· Listening to the greatness of Kamika Ekadashi is equivalent to doing a horse sacrifice.
Worshipping Lord Vishnu on Kamika Ekadashi
· Those who worship Lord Vishnu on Kamika Ekadashi are venerated by Gandharva, Devas, Pannagas and Nagas.
· Worshipping Lord Vishnu with a tulsi leaf is the way we can attain mukthi. An offering of a single tulsi leaf on Ekadashi is greater than offering precious gems and stones to Lord Hari.
·Offering a ghee lamp to Lord Vishnu on Kamika Ekadashi will take one’s ancestors to heaven
· Praying to Tulsi on the day of Kamika Ekadashi removes sins in devotees.
· Those who keep vigil overnight and sing in praise of Lord Hari are relieved of the worldly bondage and reach heavenly abode.
This is the account about Kamika Ekadashi as described by Brahma to Narada in Brahma Vaivarta Purana. The same is described by Sri Krishna to Yudhishtra.
So, observing Kamaki Ekadashi opens the gates of heaven to devotees of Hari and removes sins in a person.