Karthigai is the day of worshipping Lord Muruga and He is always seen with his divine spear (Vel) in the temples.
Why is the Vel so powerful and what is the legend behind it?
Lord Muruga was created out of the Third Eye of Lord Shiva to destroy the evil forces on earth. He was made the Army Chief of the Devas. Muruga embarked on a fight with asuras like Surapadman, Tarakasuran and Singamugan.When He started for the war, He was given a divine spear by His mother Parvathi. The Vel was the embodiment of the power of the Goddess and was created to be the major weapon of Lord Muruga during His fight with mighty asuras.
No wonder, Vel has become a significant adornment of Lord Muruga and it contains special meanings and connotations of its own.
Vetri Vel athu Veeravel
· Vel has been created to destroy the negative forces on Earth.
· The destruction of Surapadmanwith the aid of Vel is symbolic of the removal of ego in human beings.
· Vel signifies the moral victory of good over evil.
· Vel has been created with the mighty power of Goddess Parvathi.It endows the devotees with the power to fight out evil and other negative forces.
· Vel is the embodiment of spiritual knowledge. It awakens spirituality in the devotees who worship it.
· The shape of the Vel showcases the broadness of human mind, depth of thoughts and sharpness of spiritual wisdom. Vel is a sharp-edged broad lance with depth in length. The broad spear signifies the broadness of the mind, sharp edge signifies the focused worship of the devotee for God. The depth in the length of the Vel signifies the depth of human thoughts and mind.
· Worshipping Vel awakens spiritual knowledge in us and takes us towards union with the Absolute Being. It takes our prayers to God especially when we are in some misery and untoward situation.
In all temples where Muruga is the primary deity, He is seen with Vel in His hand. Ardent devotees of the Lord pierce their parts of the body like the tongue with miniature Vel during festivals like Thaipusam to affirm their piety towards the Lord.
We offer homam and temple services to fulfil your religious requirements. Approach us for getting purohit services Chennai through online booking.